- Reviews.com scores Esurance a 5 out of 5, based on customer satisfaction, coverage options, and number of discounts.
- Esurance offers telemetrics-based discount programs to safe drivers and a highly rated mobile app.
- However, Esurance scores average in customer satisfaction and complaints.
Esurance is a subsidiary of Allstate and specializes in providing affordable and bundled insurance premiums online. Although the company is fairly new and was founded in 1999, it is a leading insurance company that provides products and coverage in 43 states. Esurance is known for its user-friendly website and easy-to-use mobile app on which customers can make payments, file claims, and manage their insurance policy. While Esurance is not the largest auto insurance company in the United States, it scores high on Reviews.com based on coverage, discounts, accessibility, and more.
The States Where Esurance’s Premiums Are Cheapest and Most Expensive
Data Source: Coverage.com
Esurance Car Insurance Overview
Esurance is known for its easy-to-use website and mobile app. Customers can manage their insurance policy completely from a digital device. Esurance is also known for its affordable insurance options and bundling options. Recognized by third-party agencies like the Better Business Bureau, and NAIC. In terms of complaints, the NAIC scored Esurance 2.92, indicating that it has received more complaints than other insurance providers.
- User-friendly digital application Customers can use the Esurance mobile app or web app to manage their insurance policy online.
- Extensive list of discounts Esurance provides a wide variety of discounts to lower monthly premiums. It is especially known for its bundling discounts.
- 24/7 claims reporting Esurance offers 24/7 claims reporting process for customers.
- High financial strength rating Esurance is rated by AM Best, a third-party financial stability rating agency, for having superior financial strength of A+.
- Not offered in all states Esurance is only offered in 43 states.
- Not rated by J.D. Power Esurance was not recognized by J.D. Power in its 2021 auto insurance study.
- Does not offer accident forgiveness Esurance does not offer accident forgiveness so drivers with a history of an accident or claims and high-risk drivers will end up paying more.
- Higher number of customer complaints Esurance received a higher number of customer complaints according to data from the NAIC
Esurance Car Insurance Highlights
Esurance offers all the basic car insurance coverage options needed to meet state minimum requirements in its service area.
The coverage offered by Esurance includes:
- Bodily injury liability coverage
- Property damage liability coverage
- Medical payments
- Personal injury protection
Although Esurance provides a convenient app for customers to manage their insurance policies and a long list of discounts, Esurance has not received the best ratings from third-party agencies. Based on the NAIC data, Esurance has received more customer complaints than average. While the complaint ratio for the national median is 1, Esurance received a 2.92.
Esurance offers discounts for switching, bundling, driving safely, and for downloading the Esurance mobile app. Drivers who insure their vehicles with Esurance can also use the DriveSense app, which monitors safe driving habits, to further boost discounts and lower their Esurance premiums.
Esurance also offers standard add-on coverage Drivers can add the following coverage to their Esurance auto insurance policy:
- Uninsured/underinsurance motorist bodily injury liability
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist property damage
- Emergency roadside assistance
- Rental car
- Loan/lease gap coverage
Esurance promotes a quick and simple claims process. Drivers can use the Esurance Mobile app to submit a claim with photo claims, Drivers can also submit a claim online or by talking to an expert at the number provided. Despite Esurance’s easy claims process, data from the NAIC shows that customers found glitches to the app and complained about response times.
Esurance’s Car Insurance Bundling Discounts for Cheaper Insurance
Drivers can bundle auto insurance with renters insurance and bundle multiple vehicle policies to save more on their insurance premiums. Renters coverage starts at $14 per month on average with Esurance. When bundling auto insurance and renters insurance, policyholders can apply the Renters Plus discount for instant savings. Esurance policyholders who live in any of the 21 states in which Esurance offers renters insurance can log in to their account and add renters coverage to their policy.
Esurance Car Insurance vs. The Competition
|Provider||Reviews.com Score||AM Best||J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction*||No. of Discounts|
Information accurate as of June 2021
*J.D. Power’s 202 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study average rating across all regions. Based on a 1,000-point scale.
Esurance vs. Geico
Despite Esurance being newer than Geico, Esurance and Geico are both strong auto insurance companies. However, while Geico is both digital and in-person, Esurance only offers online car insurance services. Additionally, when it comes to bundling discounts, Geico provides multi-car, home and car, and car and life bundling discounts, while Esurance only provides multi-car and renters bundling.
Esurance vs. Progressive
Esurance and Progressive both offer a variety of coverage and discount options. However, Progressive offers three more coverage options including accident-free deductible savings, custom parts and equipment replacement value, and rideshare options in more states. When it comes to discounts, Esurance provides more bundling options such as renters and auto bundling and multi-vehicle bundling options.
Esurance vs. USAA
The primary difference between USAA and Esurance is that USAA serves a specific demographic. Only those who have served in the military or who are related to someone who has served in the military can become a member of USAA. USAA, also scores high on customer satisfaction ratings with scores above 890 by J.D. Power across the studied regions.
If you are looking for a fully digital insurance company that offers affordable car insurance premiums with bundling options, then Esurance may be a good option for you.
Both Esurance and Geico are strong insurance companies. However, Geico offers life and auto and home and auto bundling options and in-person customer support when needed.
Esurance and Progressive offer all the coverage options and a variety of discounts, but Progressive may be a better choice for those who are looking for accident-free deductible savings and more rideshare options.
Esurance offers collision, comprehensive, liability, and multiple add-on coverage options that can be mixed and matched to become full coverage.
We evaluated Esurance based on discounts, coverage, online resources, financial strength, and customer satisfaction to determine Reviews.com scores and create our best car insurance reviews. To compare car insurance companies with other providers across the board, we calculate each Reviews.com score based on the following:
- Discounts: Auto insurance companies that advertised more discounts received higher scores in our methodology.
- Financial Stability: Reviews.com utilized AM Best ratings to assign a score based on each car insurance company’s financial stability.
- Customer Satisfaction: J.D. Power ranks car insurance companies by customer satisfaction, so we used its 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study to compare the average rating of insurers across all regions.
- Coverage: Car insurance companies were awarded higher scores for advertised coverages beyond the body liability, property liability, collision, and personal injury protection.
- Online Resources: We reviewed the digital resources of each car insurance company and awarded higher scores to insurers with mobile claim estimates, digital insurance cards, and more.