We recommend products and services based on unbiased research from our editorial team. We make money via affiliate links, which means if you click a link on our site, we may earn a commission. Any commissions we receive do not affect our recommendations; if you want to know more about how that works, read more.
Select Home Warranty offers home warranty coverage in 45 states and leverages a large network of local contractors to complete home repairs. The company is known for great sign-up bonuses including free roof leak coverage and two months of free protection if you pay annually. With multiple plans to choose from and a 90-day workmanship guarantee, Select is a solid choice for homeowners looking for best-fit coverage and confidence that repair work will be completed correctly the first time.
When it comes to overall pricing and callout fees, however, Select may fall short—the company’s plans are more expensive than most competitors, and homeowners may be charged separate service fees if multiple systems or appliances require repair simultaneously. In our Select Home Warranty review, we dig into the pros and cons of this protection company and discover how it stacks up against some of the industry’s top competitors.
Select Home Warranty Overview
- Plan types: Bronze Care, Gold Care, Platinum Care
- Pricing: Starting at approximately $35/month
- Service fees: $60 to $75
- Workmanship guarantee: 90 days
- Contract length: One year
- BBB rating: B
- Home inspection required: No
- States served: 45
- Applicable appliance and system coverage:
- AC, cooling systems
- Heating systems
- Plumbing systems
- Electrical systems
- Water heaters
- Plumbing stoppage
- Clothes washers
- Clothes dryers
- Garbage disposals
- Microwave ovens (built-in)
- Garage door openers
- Ceiling fans
Select Home Warranty Plans
Price: Approximately $35/month
Coverage: Select Home Warranty’s Bronze Care package includes coverage for common appliances but lacks substantial system coverage.
Microwave ovens (built-in)
Price: Approximately $40/month
Coverage: The Gold Care plan from Select Home Warranty focuses on system protection but offers minimal coverage for appliances.
AC, cooling systems
Price: Approximately $45/month
Coverage: This plan offers more robust protection for your home by combining the coverage of Select’s Bronze Care and Gold Care plans, along with extra coverage for appliances such as ceiling fans and garage door openers.
AC, cooling systems
Microwave ovens (built-in)
Garage door openers
Select Home Warranty also offers optional coverage, which allows homeowners to add on protection for key systems and appliances including:
- Pool pumps
- Central vacuums
- Sump pumps
- Well pumps
- Stand-alone freezers
- Lawn sprinkler systems
- Septic systems
Who is Select Home Warranty best for?
Select Home Warranty plans are a great choice for homeowners who need coverage for specific systems or appliances—for example, the Bronze Care plan includes protection for common appliances such as washers and dryers, stoves, and refrigerators, while the Gold Care plan covers systems such as air conditioning, heating, and ductwork.
- Great sign-up bonuses: Select Home Warranty offers two months of free coverage when you pay annually, plus free roof leak protection.
- Multiple plan choices: Choose the Bronze Care plan to protect appliances or the Gold Care plan to cover home systems, or get the best of both worlds with the Platinum Care plan.
- Customizable optional coverage: Opt-in for extra coverage including septic systems, lawn sprinklers, or sump pumps.
- Substantial workmanship guarantee: Select Home Warranty offers a 90-day workmanship guarantee on all home repairs.
- Prices are variable: Prices vary by state and are typically higher than home warranty competitors.
- Service callouts may incur multiple charges: If necessary repair work affects multiple systems, such as plumbing and electrical, you may be charged multiple fees.
- Some gaps in coverage: While the Bronze Care plan offers appliance protection, no systems are covered. Similarly, the Gold Care plan provides system solutions but leaves your appliances unprotected.
- Short claim reporting period: To be eligible for home warranty coverage, claims must be reported to Select Home Warranty (online or by phone) within three days of homeowners discovering the issue.
Select vs.The Competition
|Select Home Warranty||OneGuard Home Warranty||Landmark Home Warranty||American Residential Warranty|
|States served||45 (excludes California, Nevada, New York, Washington and Wisconsin)||Arizona, Nevada and Texas||Arizona, Idaho, Nevada, Oregon, Texas, Utah||Nationwide|
|Service fee||$60 – $75||$69||$60 or $100||Not specified|
|Workmanship guarantee||90 days||None||30 days||None|
|Other||Free roof leak coverage with all plans||Plans also cover carpet cleaning and window washing||Comprehensive coverage for appliances and systems in your home||One of the best-known nationwide warranty programs|
*All information accurate as of 05/19/20
Select Home Warranty compared to OneGuard Home Warranty
Both Select Home Warranty and OneGuard Home Warranty offer three protection plans and similar service fees, but there are substantial differences between these two coverage competitors.
For example, while OneGuard offers coverage in just three states, Select Home Warranty provides plans across 45 states. But this bigger coverage area also comes with more variable pricing—OneGuard offers some of the most affordable plans on the market with packages starting at just $30 per month.
OneGuard also has a high claims approval rate at 95%, but doesn’t offer any sign-up bonuses for new clients. It’s also worth considering service technicians—while both companies supply their own tradespeople, Select Home Warranty always uses local contractors.
Select Home Warranty compared to Landmark Home Warranty
Landmark Home Warranty only offers two plans for homeowners, both of which are fairly limited in scope, while its list of add-on coverage is substantial. Select Home Warranty, meanwhile, provides greater flexibility with its three-plan model and smaller list of optional coverage.
When it comes to workmanship, it’s worth noting that Landmark Home Warranty only offers a 30-day guarantee, while Select Home Warranty provides 90 days of protection against defects or other issues.
Landmark does earn top marks in customer service with an A- rating from the BBB, but only offers coverage across six states. Select doesn’t fare as well with only a B rating from the BBB, but does provide coverage across 45 states.
The Bottom Line
In our Select Home Warranty review, we explored the types, costs, and customization of coverage offered by this nearly national home warranty program.
If you’re looking for great sign-up bonuses and multiple coverage plans combined with local contractor support and a substantial workmanship guarantee, Select Home Warranty is a top choice. If complete customization combined with more transparent callout and claims processes are your priority, consider Select Home Warranty a competitor.
Still searching for the ideal property protection partner? Check out our review of the 10 best home warranty companies.