- Reviews.com awards Farmers a score of 3.2 out of 5 based on customer reviews, discounts available, and coverage options.
- The average cost of a home insurance policy with Farmers is $2,006 per year.
- Farmers homeowners insurance has exceptional digital customer service experience as determined by J.D. Power.
Farmers insurance offers homeowners insurance policies to homeowners in 41 states. It has a reputation for average customer service, based on an average rankings in J.D. Power’s 2021 Property Claims Satisfaction Study and 2021 U.S. Home Insurance Study. When it comes to financial strength, Farmers receives an A (Excellent) score from AM Best. That’s lower than several competitors, but still relatively high on the rating scale.
Farmers Home Insurance Company does offer a number of ways for policyholders to save money with discounts, and homeowners can choose from three tiers of service, allowing you to customize your policy to fit your budget.
States Where Farmers’ Premiums Are Cheapest and Most Expensive
Data provided by Coverage.com
Farmers Insurance Overview
According to its website, Farmers currently writes more than 19 million policies across the U.S. However, according to J.D. Power’s 2021 Home Insurance Satisfaction Study, Farmers ranks below average in customer satisfaction, earning 813 out of 1,000 points, while the average is 825.
- Smart Plan Home: Farmers offers three tiers of service: standard, enhanced, and premier.
- Flexible online quote tool: Customers can adjust coverage options, deductibles, liability, and more when building a Farmers insurance quote.
- Recently redesigned mobile app: Users can pay bills, file a claim, talk to an agent, and more from a smartphone.
- More than a dozen discounts: Farmers offers 13 homeowner discounts and may offer more or less depending on the state you live in.
- Average customer service: Farmers’ customer service scores are average with most consumer watchdog organizations.
- Above-average premiums: Farmer’s average annual premium is $388 above the national average of $1,618 for $200,000 in dwelling coverage.
Farmers home insurance costs an average of $2,006 per year for $200,000 in dwelling coverage, which is almost $400 more than the national average. But keep in mind that your own rate will vary and that you may be eligible for one or more of Farmers’ discounts. There is also a declining deductible option — homeowners earn $50 toward their deductible each year the policy is in force, potentially saving money following a claim.
Standard coverage, as listed on the declaration page, protects homes, other structures and belongings from specified perils. It also includes liability coverage and coverage if policyholders need to stay in a hotel after a disaster. Optional coverages include brand new replacement, identity theft coverage, and Eco-Rebuild, which allows homeowners to go green when rebuilding.
Farmers home insurance company tends to score in the middle of the pack with watchdog agencies when it comes to customer service. J.D. Power, for example, gives it a rating of 813 out of 1,000 — the industry average is 825. It has more complaints than average with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC), but excels in customers’ digital experience. In J.D. Power’s 2021 Insurance Digital Experience Study, it is in third place for service.
Farmers seems to encourage customers to talk to an agent since information about add-ons, also called riders, is hard to find on the website. There aren’t many endorsements listed,but the site does give information on the Eco-Rebuild option, contents replacement cost coverage, and identity theft coverage. Discounts are more generous. The discounts that Farmers advertises on its site include:
- UL-approved roof
- New home
- Protective devices
- Safe home
- Green certifications
- Pay in full/automatic payments
- Good payer
Farmers Home Insurance vs. The Competition
|Provider||Reviews.com Score||Average Premium*||J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction**||AM Best|
Information accurate as of October 2021
*Data provided by Coverage.com
**J.D. Power’s 2020 Home Insurance Satisfaction Study. Based on a 1,000-point scale.
Farmers vs. Travelers
Travelers has a higher Reviews.com score than Farmers, which is partly accounted for by the significantly lower average premium rate. It scores below average with J.D. Power, however, and its NAIC score is 1.29, where anything over 1.0 indicates above-average complaints. Travelers advertises five discounts to Farmers’ 13, so there may not be as many ways to save money on your premium. On the other hand, Farmers home insurance add-on coverage options are fewer, so it appears there are fewer ways to customize a policy at Farmers than there are with Travelers.
Farmers vs. Erie
Erie’s average premium rate is $1,018 below Farmers insurance average rate, so if you are looking to save money on your homeowners insurance, Erie could be worth a look. Furthermore, Erie scored 835 out of 1,000 points in J.D. Power’s 2021 Home Insurance Study. Erie offers guaranteed replacement cost coverage with all policies, something that Farmers has as an option, but which can help you better recoup costs after a loss. Erie has a handful of common discounts: safety devices, advanced quote, and bundling, which saves an average of 20%, according to the company.
Farmers vs. Allstate
We rank Allstate fairly high, and it is one of the best home insurance companies that we’ve reviewed. Allstate offers plenty of optional coverage add-ons, as well as claims-free rewards and a state-of-the-art website and mobile app that let homeowners handle their insurance business easily. Its average rate was on the high side, at $1,861 to Farmers’ $2,006 but a list of eight discounts could help lower the cost of premiums.
Farmers Frequently Asked Questions
Farmers Insurance reviews indicate that the company’s rates are higher than some other companies. Every insurer uses their own formula for determining the rates they will charge, so some companies are able to offer cheaper insurance than others. Keep in mind that your own rate will vary, depending on a number of factors including your home’s location and age, and your loss history.
The average cost of a Farmers home insurance policy is $2,006, or $167 a month. When looking for homeowners insurance, it’s a good idea to compare several companies to see who can offer you the lowest rates for the coverage you need. Rates can vary greatly from one insurance provider to another, so it pays to shop around when looking for the lowest rates.
We evaluated Farmers Insurance based on availability, customer satisfaction, financial stability, and coverage to determine Reviews.com score and create our best home insurance reviews. To compare home insurance companies with other providers across the board, we calculate each Reviews.com score based on the following:
- Coverage: The more options a home insurance company has for insurance add-ons and coverages, the higher it scores in our methodology.
- Customer Experience: We reviewed the National Association of Insurance Commissioners’ National Complaint Index and compared each homeowners insurance company’s complaint rating.
- Customer Satisfaction: With J.D. Power’s 2020 Home Insurance Satisfaction Study, we assigned a score to each company based on the rating it received.
- Financial Stability: Reviews.com utilized AM Best ratings to assign a score based on each home insurance company’s financial stability.
- Discounts: We reviewed and compared the number of discounts advertised on each home insurance company’s website. The more available discounts, the higher the score in this metric.