- Reviews.com awards Farmers a score of 3.2 out of 5 based on customer reviews, discounts available, and coverage options.
- The average cost of an auto insurance policy with Farmers is $2,006 a year.
- Farmers home insurance has exceptional digital customer service experience as determined by J.D. Power.
Farmers insurance offers homeowners insurance policies to homeowners in all 50 states. It has a reputation for good customer service, as is seen by an above-average ranking on J.D. Power’s 2021 Property Claims Satisfaction Study.
Farmers homeowners insurance reviews with AM Best are lower, but even there, it’s A- rank is considered good, if not great. Farmers insurance reviews with the National Association of Insurance Commissioners (NAIC) indicate that the company has more complaints than average.
Farmers Home Insurance Company does offer a number of ways to policyholders to save money with discounts, and homeowners can choose from three tiers of service, allowing you to customize your policy to fit your budget.
States Where Farmers’ Premiums Are Cheapest and Most Expensive
Data provided by Coverage.com
Farmers Insurance Overview
According to Farmers insurance, its rating marks it as the 10th most popular insurance brand in the U.S. as determined by YouGov.com. It is most popular with GenX policyholders. Only 10% of respondents have a negative opinion of the company.
Farmers is accredited with the Better Business Bureau and has an A- rating, with 224 complaints closed in the past year. And according to its website, Farmers currently holds more than 19 million policies across the U.S. However, according to J.D. Power’s 2020 Home Insurance Satisfaction Study, Farmers ranks below average in customer satisfaction, earning 814 out of 1,000 points, while the average is 823.
- Smart Plan Home: Farmers offers three tiers of service: standard, enhanced, and premier.
- Flexible online quote tool: Customers can adjust coverage options, deductibles, liability and more when building Farmers home insurance quotes.
- Recently redesigned mobile app: Users can pay bills, file a claim, talk to an agent, and more from a smartphone.
- More than a dozen discounts: Farmers offers 13 homeowner discounts, one of the highest numbers in the industry.
- Lack of info on website: There’s no informational blog or consistent explanation of the types of coverage customers might need and why.
- Customer service average: Farmer scores are average with most consumer watchdog organizations for customer service.
- Above-average premiums: Farmer’s average annual premium is $388 above the national average of $1,618.
Farmers home insurance average annual premium rate is $2,006.29, which is almost $400 more than the national average. But keep in mind that your own rate will vary, and that you may be eligible for one of Farmers’ discounts. There is also a declining deductible — homeowners earn $50 toward their deductible each year the policy is in force, potentially saving money following a claim.
Standard coverage, as listed on the declaration page, protects homes, other structures and belongings from named perils. It also includes liability coverage and coverage if policyholders need to stay in a hotel after a disaster. Optional coverage include brand new replacement, identity theft coverage, and Eco-Rebuild, which allows homeowners to go green when rebuilding,
Farmers home insurance company tends to score in the middle of the pack with watchdog agencies when it comes to customer service. J.D. Power, for example, gives it a rating of 884 out of 1,000 — the industry average is 883. It has more complaints than average with NAIC, but also earned an A- with the BBB. One area it excels is in customers’ digital experience. In J.D. Power’s 2021 Insurance Digital Experience Study, it is in third place for service.
Farmers wants customers to talk to an agent since information about add-ons, also called riders, is hard to find on the website. There aren’t many: Eco-Build, a personal articles floater for jewelry and other expensive items, identity protection, and full contents replacement. Discounts are more generous.
The discounts that Farmers advertises on its site include:
- UL-approved roof
- New home
- Protective devices
- Safe home
- Green certifications
- Pay in full/automatic payments
- Good payer
Farmers Home Insurance vs. The Competition
|Provider||Reviews.com Score||Average Premium*||J.D. Power Customer Satisfaction**||AM Best|
Information accurate as of June 2021
*Data provided by Coverage.com
**J.D. Power’s 2020 Home Insurance Satisfaction Study. Based on a 1,000-point scale.
Farmers vs. Travelers
Travelers has a higher Reviews.com score than Farmers, which is partly accounted for by the significantly lower average premium rate. It scores below average with J.D. Power, however, and its NAIC score is 1.29, where anything over 1.0 indicates above average complaints. Travelers has five discounts to Farmers’ 13, so there aren’t as many ways to save money on your premium. On the other hand, Farmers home insurance add-on coverage options are fewer, so there are fewer ways to customize a policy at Farmers than there are with Travelers.
Farmers vs. Erie
Erie’s average premium rate is $1,018 below Farmers insurance average rate, so if you are looking to save money on your homeowners insurance, Erie is worth a look. Furthermore, Erie scored 839 out of 1,000 points in J.D. Power’s 2020 home insurance study. Erie offers guaranteed replacement cost coverage with all policies, something that Farmers has as an option, but which can save money following a disaster. Erie has a handful of common discounts: safety devices, advanced quote, and bundling, which saves an average of 20%, according to the company.
Farmers vs. Allstate
We rank Allstate fairly high, and it is one of the best home insurance companies that we’ve reviewed. Allstate offers plenty of optional coverage add-ons, as well as claims-free rewards and a state-of-the-art website and mobile app that let homeowners handle their insurance business easily. Its average rate was on the high side, at $1,861 to Farmers’ $2,006 but a list of eight discounts can help bring your prices down.
A standard Farmers home insurance company policy will cover your dwelling, other structures such as a garage, and your belongings from disasters that range from fire to water damage. It also includes liability coverage to help pay medical and legal expenses if anyone should injure themselves at your home, and coverage to pay for hotel costs if you are unable to live in your home during repairs.
Farmers insurance reviews indicate that the company’s rates are higher than some other companies. Every insurer uses their own formula for determining the rates they will charge for premiums, so some companies are able to offer cheaper insurance than others. Keep in mind that your own rate will vary, depending on a number of factors including your home’s location and age, and your credit rating.
We evaluated Farmers Insurance based on availability, customer satisfaction, financial stability, and coverage to determine Reviews.com score and create our best home insurance reviews. To compare home insurance companies with other providers across the board, we calculate each Reviews.com score based on the following:
- Coverage: The more options a home insurance company has for insurance add-ons and coverages, the higher it scores in our methodology.
- Customer Experience: We reviewed the National Association of Insurance Commissioners’ National Complaint Index and compared each homeowners insurance company’s complaint rating.
- Customer Satisfaction: With J.D. Power’s 2020 Home Insurance Satisfaction Study, we assigned a score to each company based on the rating it received.
- Financial Stability: Reviews.com utilized AM Best ratings to assign a score based on each home insurance company’s financial stability.
- Discounts: We reviewed and compared the number of discounts advertised on each home insurance company’s website. The more available discounts, the higher the score in this metric.