- American Family car insurance is one of the largest insurance companies in the U.S. with a 2.7% market share.
- American Family car insurance began by serving auto insurance in 1927 but has expanded to home, life, and renters insurance.
American Family Car Insurance, also known as AmFam, is headquartered in Madison, Wisconsin, and is one of the best auto insurance companies in the U.S. It began by providing car insurance in 1927 in Wisconsin and surrounding areas but has since added more insurance services to become one of the largest insurance providers in America.
Although American Family Car insurance has 2.7% of the market share for car insurance, making it the 9th largest insurance company, it has been rated by expert third-party agencies like J.D. Power and the Better Business Bureau (BBB) as having average customer satisfaction. While the BBB rates American Family with a score of A, J.D. Power rated American Family car insurance 839 points out of 1,000.
American Family Car Insurance Overview
Although J.D. Power and the BBB rate American Family Car insurance with average customer satisfaction, American Family offers a variety of tools that make customers’ lives easier such as a variety of coverage options and discounts, 24/7 claims reporting, and the ability to enroll in either a personal or business policy or both. AmFam provides car insurance coverage in 19 states in which drivers who reside in any of these states can easily obtain a quote online through its website. AmFam also offers an online account portal where drivers who are insured with AmFam can easily access proof of insurance, view insurance policy details, pay bills, and manage claims.
- Robust mobile app Drivers who are insured under AmFam can download the iOS or Android app to pay bills, file claims, view insurance details, and more.
- Provides multiple types of insurance American Family provides multiple coverage options including auto, home, umbrella, landlord, motorcycle, renters, and more.
- Umbrella insurance coverage American Family provides an additional coverage for liability that can protect assets like your car, home, and boat and can help pay for legal fees.
- Offers 24/7 customer service American Family has a strong commitment to providing quick customer service through its 24/7 customer service and claims reporting portal.
- No nationwide coverage American Family Car Insurance is only available in 19 states.
- Average customer satisfaction rating American Family Car insurance scored 839 out of 1,000 average rating across regions by J.D. Power, while the average was 833.
American Family Auto Insurance Highlights
American Family offers drivers all the standard coverage for car insurance, including:
- Bodily injury
- Medical payments
- Personal injury protection
- Property damage coverage
Furthermore, American Family has researched the best car repair shops in every area and created a seamless car repair service for drivers. At the end of service, the bill is sent directly to American Family, excluding the price for the deductible. This also means that only one repair estimate is needed for faster and more convenient car repairs.
According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners complaint index, American Family received a score of 1.82, which is almost twice the industry average of 1.0 for all insurance products.
Furthermore, American Family Car Insurance ranks below average, with an average score of 839 out of 1,000 across all regions in J.D. Power’s customer satisfaction study. This is similar to its J.D. Power rating in the 2020 Auto Claims Satisfaction Study, in which American Family scored 862 out of 1,000, below the average of 872.
American Family car insurance offers a variety of add-on coverage to drivers who insure their vehicles, including:
- 24/7 roadside assistance
- Underinsured/uninsured motorist coverage
- Loan/lease gap
- Rental reimbursement
- Accidental death and dismemberment
When it comes to discounts, American Family offers multi-product discounts such as multi-car and multi-policy. Drivers who insure their vehicle with American Family can take advantage of discounts such as:
- Early signing discounts
- Switching from a competitor
- Good and defensive driver discounts
- Low mileage
- Auto safety equipment
- Safe teen driver
- Away at school
- Auto pay and full pay discounts
- Paperless billing
AmFam also offers safe driver discounts up to 20% through the KnowYourDrive app.
Policyholders with American Family Car Insurance can file a claim through one of AmFam’s 24/7 claims professionals. Drivers can report an auto insurance claim online through its portal or through the MyAmFam mobile app, making it convenient to file a claim anywhere and track the status of your claim whenever.
American Family’s Car Insurance Bundling Discounts for Cheaper Insurance
With American Family Car Insurance, drivers can bundle their vehicles or policies to bring car insurance premium costs down, even for high-risk drivers. AmFam offers multi-policy and multi-vehicle bundling options. According to its website, you can save up to 29% on your auto insurance and 20% on your home insurance by bundling. Renters can also save up to 29% on auto and 15% on renters insurance by bundling.
American Family Car Insurance vs. The Competition
|AM Best AM Best rates insurance providers creditworthiness. Ratings are based on the provider’s ability to follow through with a payout when a consumer files a claim.||J.D Power J.D. Power scores are based on surveys for customer satisfaction and product quality.||No. of Discounts|
|Pin American Family||A||839*||19|
Information accurate as of June 2021
*J.D. Power’s 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study average rating across regions. Based on a 1,000-point scale.
American Family vs. Auto-Owners
While both insurance companies have a large market share, American Family only serves 19 states and Auto-Owners serves 26 states. When it comes to customer and claims support, American Family offers 24/7 customer support while Auto-Owners does not. Both insurance companies offer a variety of discounts, but American Family offers almost 20 discounts while Auto-Owners has about a dozen discounts available for drivers.
American Family vs. Farmers
Farmers provides less discounts than American Family, but offers them for different features. For example, in terms of safety by using alternative fuel, passive restraint, or electronic stability control (ESC), you can receive a discount with Farmers. Additionally, Farmers offers a loyalty discount for long-term policyholders, while AmFam does not. However, both Farmers and American Family are A-rating by AM Best, but most insurance companies are rated A+ or A++.
American Family vs. USAA
The biggest difference between the two is that USAA insures only those who have served in the military or are related to a service member. Due to the specific demographic that is able to have a membership with USAA, the insurance company scores higher on customer satisfaction ratings than American Family Car insurance. USAA received A++ ratings for financial strength and scores above 880 by J.D. Power across the applicable regions for customer satisfaction.
American Family FAQ
American Family insurance is a good company as it offers a variety of discounts to reduce premiums lower, 24/7 claims professionals to assist with claims reporting, a convenient mobile app for easy policy management, and a variety of coverage options.
Yes, American Family Car insurance offers a Rental Reimburse Coverage as an add-on. When a driver’s car needs repairs or is not in a drivable condition due to a covered claim, American Family will reimburse the costs up to the policy’s limit.
We evaluated American Family based on discounts, coverage, online resources, financial strength, and customer satisfaction to create our best car insurance reviews. To compare car insurance companies with other providers across the board, we analyzed:
- Discounts: Auto insurance companies that advertised more discounts received higher scores in our methodology.
- Financial Stability: Reviews.com utilized AM Best ratings to assign a score based on each car insurance company’s financial stability.
- Customer Satisfaction: J.D. Power ranks car insurance companies by customer satisfaction, so we used its 2021 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study to compare the average rating of insurers across all regions.
- Coverage: Car insurance companies were awarded higher scores for advertised coverages beyond the body liability, property liability, collision, and personal injury protection.
- Online Resources: We reviewed the digital resources of each car insurance company and awarded higher scores to insurers with mobile claim estimates, digital insurance cards, and more.
Reviews.com reviews products, services and companies based on five criteria to help readers understand how companies compare based on similar metrics. For the best car insurance companies, our editorial team compared affordability, customer support, coverage options, customer satisfaction scores and online resources from each company to determine top providers.