Travelers Auto Insurance Overview
Travelers is one of the largest auto insurance companies in the U.S. Although most car insurance providers offer an extensive list of discounts, coverage options, and add-ons, Travelers provides a wide variety of customizable options like gap coverage, accident forgiveness, roadside assistance, as well as discounts to help drivers save money with their Travelers auto insurance.
We reviewed Travelers auto insurance based on coverage, discounts, customer satisfaction, and more, as well as how it compares to other top auto insurance companies in the nation.
- Reviews.com scores Travelers a 4.2 out of 5 based on discounts, coverage options, customer satisfaction, and more.
- Travelers has over 150 years of experience in providing auto insurance in the U.S. and currently serves 43 states.
- Travelers received average customer satisfaction ratings from third-party agencies like BBB and JD Power.
Travelers Auto Insurance Highlights
Travelers offers liability coverage, which includes both bodily injury and property damage; comprehensive, which covers damages not caused by a collision; collision, which helps pay for damages if your car hits an object or another car; personal injury protection that pays medical expenses regardless of who was at fault; uninsured motorist coverage, which covers damages and medical costs resulting from an uninsured driver; and medical payments coverage, which helps pay for medical expenses for all passengers in your vehicle.
According to the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, in a three-year period, Travelers had a minimal number of complaints for auto insurance. In 2020, NAIC’s complain index for Travelers insurance was 0.43, well under the market average of 1.0.
In terms of J.D. Power’s rating of Travelers, it ranks below average on customer experience in terms of claims satisfaction, earning a 861 out of 1,000, while the average was 872. In J.D. Power’s Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study, Travelers ranks slightly below average in every region it was included.
Travelers offers a variety of regular and unique add-on and discount options. Drivers can add on loan lease gap insurance, rental coverage, roadside assistance, new car replacement, accident forgiveness, ride-sharing, and umbrella insurance.
When it comes to discounts, Travelers offers multi-policy, multicar, safe driver, homeowner, continuous insurance, hybrid/electric vehicle, new car, EFT and paid in full, early quote, good student, student away at school, and driver training discounts
Travelers’ claim filing process is fairly simple. Users can log in to MyTraevelers’ web or mobile app to file a claim digitally and upload files, report a claim, or check the status of the claim. Once a claim is filed, Travelers will evaluate the loss through a claim professional.
The claim will then be resolved once the professional determines the value of the loss and whether or not it is covered. Drivers will receive their checks in the mail or electronically through one of Travelers ePay options.
|New York||California||Massachusetts||North Carolina||Michigan|
|Arkansas||New Jersey||Rhode Island||Arizona||Alabama|
Data Source: Coverage.com
With over 150 years of experience in providing auto insurance and local agents around the U.S., Travelers is also recognized by third-party agencies like the Better Business Bureau and J.D. Power. In terms of customer satisfaction, Travelers was rated by the BBB with an A+ and by the J.D. Power with 824 out of 1,000 points.
Although Travelers ranks slightly above average in terms of customer satisfaction by expert rating organizations, the auto insurance firm shows a commitment to ensuring great customer service. Customers can easily navigate around Travelers’ organized web page and can even manage claims and pay bills through their account online. Travelers provides a convenient and easy user experience through its online portal and webpage.
- Provides additional coverage options In addition to regular coverage, Travelers provides loan/lease gap insurance and rental coverage.
- Responsible driver benefits Travelers offers accident forgiveness and minor violation forgiveness for drivers concerned about premium increases down the road that could increase their risk portfolio.
- Umbrella insurance coverage Umbrella insurance provides additional liability coverage that can protect assets such as your car, home, and boat.
- Discounts for young drivers Younger drivers can receive a discount by completing an approved driver education course and driver training.
- Limited availability of online quote tool Travelers’ online quote tool is only available in certain states.
- Average J.D. Power rating Travelers scored 824 average rating across all regions in J.D. Power’s study, while the industry average was 831 out of 1,000.
- Not the cheapest car insurance on the market Travelers is not the cheapest car insurance out there, especially in certain states, but many discounts can be applied to bring insurance costs down.
Travelers’ Car Insurance Bundling Discounts for Cheaper Insurance
Travelers offers multiple bundling options to bring your premium costs down. If you are a homeowner, you can bundle your car and home policies and save up to 10% on your insurance. You can also save when you buy car and renters insurance together to save. To find out how much you can save by purchasing multiple policies through Travelers, use Traveler’s online quote portal to get a quote for car and home insurance bundles.
Travelers Car Insurance vs. The Competition
|Reviews.com Score Score is based on company’s customer experience, financial stability, and coverage options.||AM Best AM Best rates insurance providers creditworthiness. Ratings are based on the provider’s ability to follow through with a payout when a consumer files a claim.||J.D Power Customer Satisfaction* J.D. Power scores are based on surveys for customer satisfaction and product quality.||No. of Discounts|
|Pin American Family||4.6||A||822||18|
|Pin Liberty Mutual||4.2||A||820||17|
Information accurate as of April 2021
*J.D. Power’s 2020 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study average rating across all regions. Based on a 1,000-point scale.
Travelers vs. American Family
While American Family serves 19 states, Travelers provides insurance in 43 states. When it comes to third-party rankings, American Family scores one point higher than Travlers in J.D. Power’s Auto Claims Satisfaction Study. In terms of products, American Family and Travelers both offer boat, condo, life, homeowners, and renters insurance. However, American Family also offers RV, Motorcycle, travel trailer, and mobile home insurance.
Travelers vs. Liberty Mutual
Liberty Mutual is another leading car insurance provider, but still falls short of the industry average in J.D. Power’s satisfaction ratings, earning a 867 and 820 out of 1,000 in auto claims satisfaction and auto insurance satisfaction, respectivel. However, Travelers also received below-average customer satisfaction ratings. Furthermore, Travelers rated higher in AM Best’s financial stability, earning a A+ rating compared to Liberty Mutual’s A.
Travelers vs. Progressive
Progressive is another top car insurance provider, but fairly newer than Travelers as it was founded in 1937. Both have a large market share and offer an extensive list of discounts and services. When it comes to discounts, Progressive offers more safety discounts such as an anti-theft and defensive driver discount. In terms of product offerings, Progressive offers additional insurance services such as life, travel trailer, RV, motorcycle, and mobile home insurance, which Travelers does not offer.
Travelers auto insurance is one of the top insurance providers in the U.S. that offers all of the coverage options, typical and unique add-ons, and an extensive list of discounts. It is widely recognized by third-party rating agencies such as J.D. Power, NAIC, and BBB. However, it ranks below average to average when it comes to customer satisfaction.
Travelers insurance is considered to be cheaper than many other insurance providers because of the company’s wide variety of discounts. Travelers also provides additional discounts for customer loyalty, bundling policies, and insuring multiple cars.
Travelers Insurance is an A-rated company by expert rating sources. The BBB and AM Best rated Travelers with an A+ for customer satisfaction and financial strength, respectively.
Travelers insurance is not owned by Geico. However, Travelers sells condo insurance through GEICO.
We evaluated Travelers Insurance based on discounts, coverage, online resources, financial strength and customer satisfaction to determine Reviews.com scores and create our best car insurance reviews. To compare car insurance companies with other providers across the board, we calculate each Reviews.com score based on the following:
- Discounts: Auto insurance companies that advertised more discounts received higher scores in our methodology.
- Financial Stability: Reviews.com utilized AM Best ratings to assign a score based on each car insurance company’s financial stability.
- Customer Satisfaction: J.D. Power ranks car insurance companies by customer satisfaction, so we used its 2020 Auto Insurance Satisfaction Study to compare the average rating of insurers across all regions.
- Coverage: Car insurance companies were awarded higher scores for advertised coverages beyond the body liability, property liability, collision and personal injury protection.
- Online Resources: We reviewed the digital resources of each car insurance company and awarded higher scores to insurers with mobile claim estimates, digital insurance cards, and more.